Monday, February 18, 2008

The Fayoum Cemetery

The five of us set out to camp in the desert. We borrowed a car, coolers, GPS, and everything else we did not have and set off to the coordinates we had, The Fayoum Cemetery. I drove out of Cairo with the help of 3 navigators and we managed to get to the pyramids and on the Fayoum rode. First hurtle done.

40 minutes later we drive into the cemetery still following the blinking arrow on the GPS. We are at the coordinate and this is what we see.

Tombs of the Muslim dead.


We call our contact and are advised to travel in the direction of the guard tower. What, Where is it?
We find a spec on the horizon that must be it and find the tower head down the military road until we meet our contact person.

We proceed to the monastery to meet the rest of the group.

We tour the ancient monastery and marvel at the view.


It was a little tricky getting in and out of the crack but Danny does it with ease.
This is an ancient fort of something or other need to get some info on it for you.

Zoe had a blast playing hide and seek.

Danny has been found!


This was pretty cool not sure what it was called need to get that info too.




Petrified road. This was the road where they would pull a sleigh though the sand in order to move their supplies. It was laid with tree trunks.


First nights campsite

The goal of the trip was for little boys to get big vehicles stuck int he sand. They were really good at this. Once I figured out that was the plan it was fun!

After pushing out several vehicles for several hours we stopped for a lunch feast!
This is a neolithic site where I found an arrow head or knife blade. Really cool find!
Campsite next night

Bathroom....what you don't see it....just over that dune....

This was a great weekend and one I will never forget. Thanks to all who made it memorable!

3 comments:

Anonymous said...

I wondered why the updates stopped. I didn't really think that you were sitting around doing nothing all this time, just waiting for Mike to return. Glad that Mike is back.

Love you two.
Julie

Anonymous said...

are the pictures going to come back? MAry

Nancy and Mike Gorneau said...

Not until the summer when I have time to re upload them all! Ugh! Technology.