Saturday, October 27, 2007

Golf at the Mena House Oberoi

Paul picked Mike, Cathy and I up to play golf at the pyramids on Saturday. We drove out noticing the pollution level was high and I was thinking that we would not even be able to see the pyramids, I was wrong!

We pull into the gates and are the only people there. 4 caddies walk quickly to our vehicle grab our clubs and lead us to the office to pay. It was 75LE per person and 55LE for me to rent clubs. Not sure why I need a whole set, I can only hit with the 9 iron. Farouk, my caddy, would have had an easier time just carrying the one club than the whole bag.

Off we go to hole 1 and I get my first lesson on how to hold the club, place my head, and swing. Throughout the entire 9 holes I hear the same thing...he thought I was being obstinate and just refused to swing correctly. Madame don't bend your arms, Madame don't turn your body, Madame keep your head down. Ugh! I did not ask for lessons!


Mike is a pro and he enjoyed the tips that the caddy gave him. He played well and had fun too!



I think they teach this pose!
Way in the back Cathy is teeing off and the gardening crew is standing by watching. Anyways 9 holes later well 7 for me cause he kept making me practice. So much for the company of friends I played by myself cause we were taking too long, so much for my favorite part....being excited when I made contact with the ball at all.

Paul then took us to Christo's where we downed some water and ate chicken, fish, and vegetarian dishes as the sunset near the pyramids. It was truly incredible to play golf so close to one of the Ancient Wonders.


3 comments:

Anonymous said...

You mean they wouldn't let you play best ball Nance?

Setting is gorgeous.

Love you two,
Julie

Nancy and Mike Gorneau said...

Best ball would have been nice. I really enjoy scrambles maybe next time. It was a good workout my sides and arms felt it.

mellenrose said...

The pictures with the pyramids in the background! Incredible! Sometimes I am soooo jealous!