Sunday, June 10, 2007

So as Mary can attest I get a little uptight when trying to catch trains, flights, general things that follow set schedules. As we left the hotel we missed the first train and had to wait about a half hour to the next one. As I stressed out Mary and Mike egged on by each other as much as my reaction tormented me completely. This is where Mary became uninvited to join us in Turkey. We then got our train tickets from the metro station and had to take a quick bus ride with one change to the train station, missing that bus we took the next one. I read the stops wrong and we got off too early so we had to get on the next bus to get to the correct bus stop to take us to the correct train stop. We finally get to the train and have a few minutes to relax before the train begins its hour journey. I head off to get the diet coke and a snack. I find Mike and Mary already loaded comfortably onto the train. I pass out the cookies and diet coke. Mary is happy!

We discuss my neurosis and have a few laughs. As we are talking about the highlights Mary comments on the pictures and says, "Mike and Mary in London!" (sound familiar?) Well I know that I have been stressed out but they could at least include me in the trip! Mary sees my face which is very wilted and bursts out laughing spraying Mike and I with diet coke. I had not heard that comment earlier! We were a little sticky the rest of the trip. She was too!


So we left London and safely arrived in Glasgow, the flight is nothing to mention, Mary and I slept and Mike read a book. I think that was this flight. Travel plans seem to blur together pretty quickly. It is good encouragement to journal more often.

We have good friends who will be visiting us in November, Amy and Emma. I digress...

So we grab the rental car and head for Fort William, it is about 2 hours north to the Highlands. Mike rented us rooms at a hostel called Achintee Farms. It was beautiful place at the base of Ben Nevis, a mountain! We settled in and Mike and I took a walk to the visitor center to find them closed. We hiked for an hour or so and then grabbed Mary for dinner. Fortunately there is the Ben Nevis Inn at the top of the drive and we walked up the hill passing Rose of Rogassa, sheep and flies. We had a nice meal and retired semi early.

We went castle trekking the next day as it was a little dreary out. Of course I cannot remember any of the names of things we saw but it was nice. (will add details later) We saw a complete wreck of a castle, a lived in castle (Cowford Castle) where the owner was being filmed for BBC2, and a ruined castle that you could still get the gist of it. We were headed to a haunted tour of the city but we bailed for the thought of food. I am sure Mary lost weight as I know I have has Mike only feeds you twice a day when you are out adventuring.

There a re a few amusing stories to tell on this one day journey but unfortunately my Euro has run out and I am being kicked off the Internet. More in the future......

No comments: